Image via Blumhouse Productions/Universal
happy death day was hailed as one of the freshest and funniest horror films we’ve had in years when it was first released in 2017. It’s summed up perfectly as “Day of the groundhog they meet Shout,” the time-looping horror comedy follows sorority sister Tree Gelbman (Jessica Rothe) as she is trapped reliving her birthday over and over again until she can figure out the identity of the baby-masked creature that it keeps killing her.
Christopher Landon’s film was a hit for Blumhouse Productions that was quickly followed by a sequel in the form of 2019. Happy Death Day 2U, which again saw Tree trapped in the same time loop, but this time in a parallel timeline, meaning she once again had no idea who the killer was. Although a second sequel was planned to complete the trilogy, HDD3 has yet to materialize due to the underwhelming box office performance of the second film.
While Tree’s story is woefully incomplete, the two films released so far have a lot to offer fans, as its complex time-travel mythology requires multiple viewings to fully appreciate. Obviously, the big question we’re left with after watching any temporal tale is: how many days was the protagonist trapped? In the event that happy death daythis question becomes: how many times did tree die?
However, wonder no more as here is a complete guide for many, lots of Tree Gelbman’s deaths in both films of the franchise.
happy death day
- Special Michael Myers — Stabbed in the face with a kitchen knife.
- Death by bong — Attacked with a broken bong.
- Door to floor — Stabbed in the stomach with a knife through a door.
- Special Michael Myers #2 — Stabbed in the gut with a knife.
- Water way to go — Drowned in a water source.
- Stop, bus! — Hit by a bus.
- Death by… nudity? — Unknown death, as the only sighting that day involved the tree passing through campus.
- Beat! — A baseball bat hit the head.
- KABOOM – Locked in a police car, the tree wants to blow up when Babyface lights up the leaking gas with a birthday cake candle.
- Journey to the tower — In order to restart the day and revive Carter, Tree hangs herself from the bell tower.
- Carbs will kill you – The tree finally eats Lori’s cupcake and dies in its sleep from the poison.
Happy Death Day 2U
- Rookie move — A tree accidentally runs through the roof of a hospital while running away from Babyface.
- shocking! — He kills himself by throwing a toaster into the bathtub.
- Pipe cleaning — Suicide by drinking imitation Drano.
- Geronimo! — Jumps out of a plane without a parachute.
- Crusher feeling — Run towards a wood chipper.
- Tower Trip #2 — He commits suicide again by jumping from the bell tower.
- KABOOM #2 – She kills herself and Babyface by shooting a gas cylinder.
- power movement — In order to restart the day and revive Carter, Tree plows his car into the power plant.
So there you have it. Even though we don’t actually see Tree die 11 times hard diskin summarizing his experience a HDD2U, specifies that he died on that number of occasions, so we must take it as fact. Confusingly, before his final death in the first film, Tree mentions that he is about to die for the “sixteenth time”. In light of his line in the second film, we can assume this was just a throwaway comment.
There is a similar discrepancy in the sequel. Tree is only depicted dying eight times, mostly by various methods of suicide so she can avoid being stabbed by Babyface. However, as she closes the loop, she thanks her friends for helping her over the past “two weeks”. So this may mean there were more deaths that we didn’t see.
However, in regards to Tree’s on-screen deaths, the official figure is 19. Eat your heart out, Laurie Strode.